Thursday, 17 September 2026

PET/CT Scan at St Georges Hospital


This morning I went for my PET/CT Scan at the twin containers on the Perimeter Road. My appointment was for 8:30 but they like you there 15 minutes early. 

FDG PET/CT scans one is not be able to eat anything six hours before your appointment. During this time you can drink as much still/tap water as you like - you do not need to have a full bladder for your scan.

The scan isn’t painful. However, you will have to lie still for up to one hour on a table which is quite hard. 

I had removed my chain and wedding rings before attending and had ensured that I was wearing clothes without any metal so that I didn't have to change into a hospital gown. 

I was taken to a small preparation room, more like a large cupboard where a cannular was inserted into my arm, my blood sugars were taken and they gave me a small injection of radioactive tracer into a vein and ask me to remain sitting for about one hour.  

After an hour, I was asked to empty my bladder as its not as if you can jump off for a pee halfway through, and then we went across an open bridge between the two containers into the scanning room. Because of my shoulder problems I was scanned with my arms by my sides. Sometimes they scan with your arms raised above your head. 

During the scan, the radiographer/technologist is able to see you from the control room and you can talk to each other through an intercom. They keep you informed about what scans they are doing and how long each section is going to be. 

My particular scans, whole body and head and neck were 25 minutes and 8 minutes respectively. 

Although the radiographer/technologist can see parts of your body on the screen, the images must be carefully interpreted by a Radiologist/Nuclear Medicine physician who is an expert in this field. 

The injected radioactive chemicals have a very short lifespan and are removed from the body fairly quickly. I was advised to avoid close contact with babies or pregnant women for eight hours after your scan. I'm not seeing Digby until Friday so It will be safe by then.

Because of my mobility issues I came out of the containers backwards down the stairs 

Three years ago I was having the PET Scans at the Royal Marsden which is inside the hospital. Now I'm on Annual check ups and not 3 monthly or 6 monthly I can have them done at St Georges container facility 

No comments:

Post a Comment