Fruit Tree in the Orchard.
Sunday, 27 June 2021
Fruit Tree in the Orchard.
Early Sunday visit to the plot today and two plastic trugs of weeds from the paths and Raspberry beds removed. Having noticed how well the Rhubarb is doing and how crowded the single bed is now looking, I started clearing the area where the other Rhubarb beds are going of weeds.
Having cleared as many weeds as possible I managed to get in the path between the two Rhubarb beds and trimmed and covered the remainder in a hope of killing off the foliage a little.
Last Quadgrow filled with 15 litres of water that had stood in the greenhouse.
Raspberry beds and paths looking nice and weed free again at least for another week. I'm sure there will be more mares tail coming up shortly.
Digging and weeding the path between the Rhubarb beds.
I dug the path width plus about 200mm before raking and compacting the soil in the area of the path and laying weed membrane specifically cut to go between the Rhubarb beds.
Woodchips taken from the pile I had made in the corner of the plot, and compacted with the front of the rake.
Covered area beside the first two Raspberry beds trimmed and covered with weed membrane .
Beetroot Germination rates looking good.
Gherkin's looking healthy and getting larger, but I really need to see them get climbing that netting.
Saturday, 26 June 2021
First Early morning visit for a week and the weeds have been loving the sunshine and showers over the last week. 2nd Narrow bed of tomatoes planted. The Tomato plant dug up by the foxes has not only recovered it put a bit of weight on and is looking a lot better than last week. Sweetcorn has been loving the weather and the last two tomato plants have been planted in the last two Quadgrow pots. Short visit as my daughter Kelly is helping me hang some wallpaper this afternoon.
Bed cleared raked and covered with the tomato planting membrane. I stole two of the Hydro cups from the first tomato bed to use on the 2nd.
The poor little tomato plant dug out by the fox last weekend
The same little tomato plant the fox dug out last weekend today!
All the quadgrows now have plants, but I have misplaced one of the mulching caps somewhere!
Raspberries have come up but the mares tail and other weeds have also been loving the recent weather. I have some serious weeding to do.
Radish coming on
Main Crop spuds have flowers
First early spuds turning colour
Onion bed needs weeding and where they are bolting the heads need snipping off.
Flowers on the main crop spuds in buckets
Red Onion Bed
White Onion Bed
Beetroot seedings showing more and the sweetcorn growing nicely
Thursday, 24 June 2021
Wednesday, 23 June 2021
It's not quite as straightforward as some people think.
Monday, 21 June 2021
This morning I turned my Greenhouse on plot 1 into a TARDIS! and set up the Quadgrows.
In the time I had this morning I only managed potted up into 6 of the 8 pots available on the Quadgrows.
The remaining tomatoes for the Quadgrow and the second Narrow Bed are with the extra courgettes resting in a bath of water until my next visit, which may not be until late Friday or Monday as I don't have anyone to keep an eye on the wife this week.
Photo when the plot 1A greenhouse was first covered, the debris netting weathered over the years made the greenhouse mucky and finally split on the gable end. The plot 1A greenhouse will get the same internal netting make over during the winter months.
Meanwhile on the plot...... The Bloody foxes had dug out my crimson crush tomato and torn the planting membrane in the process. The poor plant didn't look healthy and I have no idea how long it had been laying there. She was re potted into the ground and watered. most of the 2.5 Litre Hydro Cups were empty or near too it.
The Gherkins (National) are working there way up to the bottom of the climbing frame and so far are resisting slug & snail attacks.
In the evening as it was dry I made another Tomato Narrow Bed Planting Membrane for the second narrow bed and the tomatoes that are in the greenhouse waiting to be planted out. I also trimmed up a 2.4m x 0.6m Blank that was on the first Narrow bed and made a second 2.4m x 0.6m Winter Blank from the large end of roll I had in the brick store.
Thursday, 17 June 2021
Today I managed to move the Micro and Mini Tomatoes from their vending machine cups and potted them on into 127mm 5" pots and get a selection of tomatoes planted out into buckets just before it started raining again.
Some of the Micro Toms already have flowers growing.
Half have been potted up using Dalefoot Wool Compost for Potting which is a blend British Wool, Bracken & Comfrey The other half have been potted up using Westlands New Horizon Tomato Planter made with BIO3. It's going to be interesting to see what difference the different composts make to the growth and development of the plants.
Due to the additional store I won in a Waltons competition there is a reduction in Tomatoes grown at home in the back garden from 22 Flower Buckets to just 10 Buckets this year. The City Jungle that I erected during the pandemic in 2020 remains in the back garden as do the two self watering pots.
I have two Quadgrows so 8 pots in Plot 1 Greenhouse and six plants out on the two narrow allotment plot, which makes 27 plants in all growing this year excluding the Micro & Mini Varieties in the Space Saver greenhouse.
Wednesday, 16 June 2021
The 75mm or 3" Spring Clamps that I had bought arrived today, so I took the opportunity with the bad weather warning for Thursday and Friday to use them to clip the netting to the blue water pipe just above the bed frame so that I don't loose any netting cover like I during the last high winds.