Reviewing the diary over the last seven years for June
2013 - Potting up tomatoes & peppers, potatoes, cabbages, sprouts and sweet corn, dug beds 7 & 8
2014 - Watering system installed on Mill Green plot 1A, Potted up Tomatoes into buckets, installed bed 12, Marrows in manure covered in cardboard. Beetroots, Harvested the first bunch of Spring onions. Harvested first early potatoes from buckets. End of the month bed 13 completed, second bed of runner beans sown.
2015 - Not many posts in the blog for this month in this year, it was however my first Vlog from the plot. first year trying French beans the family didn't like them and it they have not been grown again since. Potted tomatoes from vending machine cups into pots that were taken to the grow house on the plot. First year growing Marketmore cucumbers. Sweetcorn planted on Fathers day, First year for successfully growing a whole bed of Parsnips. First year for peas. Cherries on the cherry trees. Sent two Crimson Crush tomato plants.
2016 - Very cold June. Grow House heaving with plants, Burpless Cucumber transplanted into pots, Tomatoes potted on from vending machine cups, Sprouts failed and I had to buy some. Third sowing of beetroots, First year for celery. Flooding at Wallington Railway Bridge
Second sowing of sweetcorn due to slow germination then the first sowing germinated after the first ! Drying Coffee Grounds
Mill Green - Runner beans planted out, sweetcorn planted out into beds mulched with cut comfrey, Sprouts planted out,
Spencer Road - Onions, Potatoes, Beetroots and infrastructure works.
Home - Tomatoes finally get transplanted into flower buckets.
2017 - Due to wife being very ill and in hospital a couple of times, everything was late and many things just didn't happen. Sweetcorn was sown about a month later than usual, so were Beetroots, and the first early spud in buckets experiment for SoilFixer was also a month late. Very large double size Dalek picked up off Freecycle for Mill Green
2018 - Community work, clearing weeds from plot 4 for Sarah who has burn injuries and can't work her plot. Crimson Crush & Rapunzel tomatoes planted on the plot. Lark Sweetcorn planted, Moving slabs and kerb stones from Spencer Road to Mill Green, Sold my Handy Tiller & Generator that I had bought and had never used, Trimming tomatoes and giving a Comfrey feed, Butternut Squash in the bottom of Plot 1. Clearing Spencer Road Allotment and bringing items to Mill Green. Sowed more carrots, Spring Onions in cut down flower buckets, 24th June Cucumbers transplanted, Fixing the chairs, Comfrey pipe from Spencer Road plot set up on Mill Green, Shed maintenance replacing feather edge board, Trees from Jersey Plants Direct,
2019 - Lots of potting up and growing in the Space Saver Greenhouse, Purchased CMH Heavy Duty Plastic Trays, Lots of rain and flooding in the early part of the month. The contractor working on the property behind the wall cut down the trees and left branches on my shed. Lots of plums on the tree and the some bastard picked them all! Beetroots disappointing this year wiped out by the intense heat and slugs. 24th June Butternut squash planted out, cucumbers starting to climb their framework, Trial of Nemaslug sent but they had to be stored in the fridge!, Weekend Heatwave with temperatures in 40C .Watering visits as a very dry and sunny June, Potatoes in buckets drying out very quickly, must consider toeing into the bed next year.
2020 - Due to Covid and the lockdown I didn't visit the allotment during June as I was shielding my wife. My daughter and son in law visited and tried to keep the allotment tidy and undertook weed management. All of my growing was done in the back garden.
Planned for 2021
The UK have been slowly coming out of the second lockdown. However the Indian Variant is here and the R value is rising again and personally I see another too late lockdown coming from Boris and his chums soon.
To Do List
Below is the to do list in no particular order of what needs to be done and what has slipped.
Mill Green - Plot 1A
- Re felt the roof of the shed - Awaiting a couple of dry days
- Fix the potting Bench - TBD.
- Tidy Up the Allotment - Ongoing
- Weeding - Ongoing
Mill Green - Plot 1
- Potatoes - Last of the Maincrop and the excess of the First Early as a second wave were planted in buckets on the 2nd May.
- Square Foot Gardening Beds - Timber for all Square Foot Gardening Beds now cut, One set need nails removed, painting and drilling for fixing screws. Second Square Foot Gardening Bed now dug and weeded, just needs the paths around it cleared.
- Beds and Paths - One Rhubarb Bed in and the three Rhubarbs planted into it until I can transplant once the other two Rhubarb beds are dug and installed.
- New greenhouse - need to cover with debris netting for some shade internally.
- Install the kerb edging along the bottom of Plot 1 - TBD
- Clear the weeds and install a 600mm margin around the perimeter of the plot - TBD
- Tidy Up the Allotment - Ongoing
- Planning - Ongoing
- Cut Planting Membrane - Make some narrow bed tomato planting sheets
- Space Saver Greenhouse - Update list of what's in the Space Saver