Saturday 10 August 2024

Bindweed, Bindweed Everywhere

 

Photo Above is the main path and Raspberry path before and after attacking the bindweed.

Two and a half hours on the allotment this morning and the bindweed is in the process of creeping its way over the allotment. I had cleared the main path back a little while ago, and its on its way out and over it again.

So another push back but I was there today to finish weeding this years Parsnip Bed and then start to excavate the soil so I can build two 1.2m x 0.8m beds on the foot print that was 2.4m x 1.2m and put a path in the middle.


Main Path before and after attacking the bindweed.

Parsnip Bed cleared of weeds, and I started to excavate the soil into the square flower buckets at the end of the path.


Excavating the soil from the parsnip bed and placing it in square flower buckets. I have lifted the frame slightly and placed a paving block under so it makes it easier to lift the old frame out of the way when I can get a couple of fellow plot holders to help me.

The Path between the Rhubarb and Raspberries has been totally taken over by Bindweed, the weed of the Devil. Another job for another day.


As I'm cutting the bind weed I'm placing it on the Asparagus bed that has also been overtaken with the stuff for the moment. I can't burn it until we are allowed to have fires again. 

There is a slope to the plot and the soils is deeper this end so I have started to excavate this end first.

The first smaller raised bed ready to go in once I have removed the soil and then the existing framing to the bed.


The weeds have taken the beds in the Greenhouse climbing frame over, but there were a couple of surprises.

Out of the five varieties and 30 odd cucumbers I planted only one survived the slugs and snails and it has cucumbers on it !


There are a few growing bit I only picked one for the moment. 

A couple of Lazy Housewife French Climbing bean have come good, I will pick them tomorrow when I go to the allotment.

No comments:

Post a Comment