Wednesday 21 February 2024

In My Seed Box for 2024 - Swede

    


OK I admit when I think of swede it takes me back to my childhood as my Mum used to cook roast dinners all the time and swede was part of our staple diet, however since growing up and getting married it's not something that the wife was particularly fond off, so I haven't eaten it for some years. 

Chatting with my sister-in-law Pauline who also had a plot on the same allotment site, until she moved away last year.  She has not had much luck growing swede in the past. 

I have a vague recollection of my old Mum boiling it, mashing it and adding butter, but I may be wrong!














Swede Best of All
- Seeds To Suit  - Approx 50 Seeds - 29p 

This traditional variety is a popular choice, producing mildly flavoured sized purple topped roots 

Sow        Mid-May to Jun
Harvest  July - December
  • Sow directly in the ground from middle of May through to July
  • Sow thinly 12.5mm (1/2") deep in drills 300mm (12") apart in finely tilled soil
  • When seedlings are large enough to handle thi to 150mm apart, they do not transplant well 
  • Keep well -watered and weed free 
  • Protect from birds 






No comments:

Post a Comment