Wednesday 21 December 2022

Happy Winter Solstice

T
he winter solstice marks the shortest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere, when the sun appears at its most southerly position, directly overhead at the Tropic of Capricorn

There are actually two ways in which the seasons are defined in the United Kingdom:-

  • For Meteorological purposes, winter covers the months of December, January and February. This allows for exact comparison between years and ignores, for example, fluctuations caused by leap years in the Solstice dates.
  • However, the Astronomical winter is defined by the equinoxes and solstices. So it runs from December 21 or 22 to March 20 or 21.
All I know is that the days will gradually get longer and the night shorter and I will not feel so SAD as I'm sure I'm part solar powered. lets get Christmas over and done with and hopefully some mild drier weather so I can actually get down onto my allotment and get the huge list of chores done before we kick of sowing and planting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment