Friday 11 March 2016

Poundland & Wilko Gardening Visit


OK so Poundland have rebranded everything gardening as Approved by Charlie Dimmock you remember her with Alan Titchmarsh, and Tommy Walsh, in Ground Force a British garden makeover television series originally broadcast by the BBC between 1997 and 2005. 

She made gardening programs watchable to male viewers who were not really into gardening, and was the eye candy for the men as Tommy Walsh was for the women, and gardeners just like watching Alan Titmarsh, Umm I mean Titchmarsh. Yes she was bra less and didn't mind getting stuck in sweaty and dirty and I recall my old Dad thought she was smashing and made gardening sexy. Being pure of heart (cough) I just recall that her speciality was water features but her tee shirts always remained dry ;0) shame....

Well my local Poundland didn't have the Wodden-Handled Rake, there was however a plastic handled version, but at a £1 a pop I have treated myself to the other wooden handled hand tools for plot 23B and they appear to look very robust. The proof will be in the using and I will let you know how well they stand up to use.

At a £1 I may actually buy another Wooden-Handled Trowel and apply a mer you know a ham-mer and persuade it into a tighter narrower planting version using a section of broom handle and the vice to dress the steel around.

The good thing with these tools is that they are cheap and as at the moment I'm leaving the shed door open, I don't want anything too shiny and nickable in the shed. 

I bought a Window Thermometer for the new greenhouse, some Classic Style House Numbers (23) for the back of the shed as we are supposed to have the plot number up somewhere, but there were no letters which is a shame so I will have to find an "B" from somewhere.

A pack of 24 Assorted Cup Hooks for hanging items in the shed. A pair of bright orange Tommy Walsh Non Slip Gloves, so I can find them easily. A pack of 5 Tool Hooks, 2 garden scoops, A cast Iron Handle for the shed door, and a couple of 1 kg boxes of Organic Potato Fertiliser, a roll of fleece, an Onion and Potato Bag with draw string and side zip, four bags of plant clips for my tomatoes. I looked for the coir but there was none there at the moment unless they have put it next to the Weetabix which is what they did last year!

Unfortunately they didn't have any seed potatoes, so I trotted up to Wilko and ended up buying 10 x Swift, 10 x Vivaldi Albert Bartlett first early seed potatoes a 75p per bag of 5 seed potatoes. These will be started off in buckets in the greenhouse and then moved outside once the tomatoes need the space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment