Sunday 20 March 2016

High Level Shelf & A Tug of Couch Grass

My sister was going to visit and lend a hand this Sunday Morning but poor thing is not very well. I got up early and visited Plot 1A at about 7:30 to water the Japanese Onions and to pick up a couple of scaffold board so that once I have dug the plot I can use them to condense the ground where the paths are going.  

I got to Plot 23B about 8:50 and my sister rang to inform me she was not up to it. So after a chat I backed the car down to the plot and unloaded a sack of grass and leafs and headed for Dalek 1 and added them together with some shredded paper and coffee grounds, So the composting has begun.

I looked like it could rain so I decided to cut the battens to go along the back, side and front and a return from front to back to support the shelf. the idea was that if it started to rain all the materials would be cut and ready for me to work in the shed.  Well the rain didn't come, but I completed the high level shelf anyway and filled it with all the plastic containers that were on the work bench.

It's nice to have the work bench back clear again. I cleared to plastic off bed 2 and used the wolf tiller to work the manure into the bed and break up the crust that had formed under the plastic. I just love that tool, yes they are expensive but they do such a good job and are a joy to use.

Then I started trimming the edge between my plot and Adams and digging over and weeding Bed 1 which I managed to just about complete by 1:00pm when it was time to come home. I have dug half the 600 path so an area 1.5. x 2.4m = 3.6 square metres which has produce a tug load of couch grass, not to mention large lumps of concrete, a timber plank and a old fashioned back door lock! in with the glass and plastic that cam out of the area.

Here is the state of play when I came home for Sunday dinner


The path between beds 1 & 2 need digging, weeding and re consolidating and Bed 2 in the distance needs topping up with the topsoil and horse manure if I can get to it before it all goes. Next job timber gravel boards and make the first two bed frames up and put them in.

Then I think it's the back of the plot to put in Comfrey Bed and the Daleks in their final positions.

No comments:

Post a Comment