Friday 19 January 2024

Parsnip Trial

I thought I had the parsnip covered for 2024. My daughters and I decided we would increase from one 2.4m x 1.2m bed using 105 hole planting membrane to 2 beds of 105 planting membrane, in fact Kelly said we should try and do another bed and we eat a lot of parsnips during the year. 

I have been sent Organic Parsnip Guernsey 1 by Organic Gardening which is a heritage French parsnip dating from 1826, that they have added to their catalogue for 2024. 

Currently being sold at £2.99 for 340 seeds

The web site states "This ‘Half Long’ variety has broad shoulders and shorter roots that are a good choice for shallow or stony soils. Good yields of smooth white roots with a sweet flavour. Excellent for roasting. Height: 45cm (18in). Spread: 30cm (12in)."


Dobies have also sent me a new parsnip to trial this year from their 2024 catalogue called Sabre F1 which is from the same breeder as the popular ‘Gladiator’, which is the parsnip I had the best results with last year and that I have already purchased in two forms 

Parsnip ‘Sabre’ is destined to be a show bench winner. Long, very white, smooth-skinned roots with a great flavour. Good resistance to canker. Height: 45cm (18in). Spread: 30cm (12in).

The current RRP is £2.49 for 200 seeds but it's currently on offer for 89p 

So my cunning plan is to germinate all three varieties and do a bit of a comparison between them in terms of germination rates and final quality of the parsnips grown.

No comments:

Post a Comment