Tuesday 14 December 2021

In My Seed Box For 2022 - Sprouts

             

2019 with the crazy weather I lost my sowing of seedlings and then I had my leg injury so no home grown sprouts in 2019.

2020 in Shielding Mode for wife due to Covid -19.

2021 Growing sprouts just didn't happen, as I was in catch up mode on the allotment. 

2022 will be the return of the Sprouts so that we have fresh home grown for Christmas 2022.  

I have ten varieties of sprouts in my seed box which technically have gone past their sow by dates, however we know that companies underestimate the life expectancy of seeds and I will just allow for lower germination rates and see what happens.
  
  • Bedford                         - 125 Seeds            - Thompson & Morgan  - Sow By 12/2019  
  • Bedford Darkmar          -                              - Just Seeds 
  • Brest F1                        -  40 Seeds - £3.45 - Mr Fothergill's              - Sow By 2020
  • Brodie  F1                     -  40 Seeds - £3.45 - Mr Fothergill's              - Sow By 2021
  • Cromwell F1                -   40 Seeds -            - Marshalls                     - Sow By 2021
  • Evesham Special         - 500 Seeds - £1.89 - Mr Fothergill's              - Sow By 2020
  • Fillbasket                      - 100 Seeds -    20p - Carters                        - Sow By 07/2021
  • Igor                               -  30 Seeds - £2.80  - Mr Fothergill's RHS     - Sow By 2024
  • Mongomery                  -  40 Seeds -            - Marshalls                    - Sow By 09/2019
  • Nelson F1                     -  40 Seeds -           - Mr Fothergill's              - Sow By 2020
Based on 10 plants in a bed I decided on 
  • Bedford
  • Brest F1
  • Brodie F1 
  • Evesham Special
  • Nelson F1                                    
So that's five varieties and I will need two of each to fill the 10 holes in the sprout weed membrane. 

Sowing 

Sow Indoors February - Mid March or Sow Outdoors Mid March to the end of April 
Plant Out in May 

A second sowing will take place 14 days - 21 days after the first, as Brassicas can curl up a die so easily if it becomes too warm as I found out in 2019

Harvesting 

September - December depending on the variety. 

Remember 

A Sprout is like a puppy, is for all year round not just for Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment