Wednesday 21 October 2020

In My Seed Box for 2021 - Chard

Last year I had never eaten or tired Chard before, I didn't have a clue how to cook it. But I got a free pack off a magazine so I asked myself the question; 

Do I try growing it and see if I like it OR 

Do I buy some and try it before making my mind up about sowing it?

How many of you end up growing something you have never tried before because the seeds came free on a magazine?
The feedback I got from postings re this on different Facebook allotment and gardening groups was quite staggering, and I had planned to to give chard a go in 2020, But again Covid-19 had other ideas about how I was going to spend my time. . 

Now I have the additional half plot and six full and two narrow beds on Plot 1, and three Square foot gardening beds planned, plus I've now tasted Swiss Chard I'm defiantly growing it in 2021



Description
  • Use the deep green leaves in place of spinach. The white mid-ribs are delicious when  cooked like asparagus. Also known as Seakale Beet. 
  • Pack size: 250 Seeds
  • WHEN TO SOW

    March to July

    WHERE TO SOW

    Sow direct in a well prepared, moist, fertile growing site in full sun or partial shade. Sow seeds thinly at a depth of 2cm (3/4") in drills 35-40cm (14-16") apart.

    WHAT TO DO NEXT

    As seedlings appear , gradually thin until 20cm (8in) apart . Leaves are best harvested by pulling rather than cutting.

    MATURITY

    June to October

    HANDY TIP

    Ideal for stir-fry cooking. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice to the water when boiling the stalks to preserve the white colour.

    NUTRITIONAL VALUES

    Rich in Beta carotene, calcium, iron and folic acid.

WHEN TO SOW

  • Jan
 
  • Feb
 
  • Mar
 
  • Apr
 
  • May
 
  • Jun
 
  • Jul
 
  • Aug
 
  • Sep
 
  • Oct
 
  • Nov
 
  • Dec
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
 
  •    
  • Sow
  •  
  • Plant
  •  
  • Harvest

Notes: Do not transplant


NEW Swiss Chard - 65 Seeds - Suttons -  £2.99

No comments:

Post a Comment