Friday 10 February 2017

Brick Shed Grow Station 2

I finally made space elsewhere for the lawn mower that used to sit folded up on top of  the small freezer in the outside brick shed. The space release is not as large as I was visualising, actually putting it another way until they turned up I didn't realise that the two bulbs would be quite as large and take up quite as much room as they do.

The Lamp Socket Converter Bayonet / Screw & the Mercury Switched Clip on Lamp Holder (see post here) didn't really hold the lights as I wanted as the whole thing was a little bulky and wobbly at the converter. and the direction of the bulbs in relation to the Clip on Lamp Holder was all wrong, so I bought a E27 Pendant fitting with lead switch and 3 pin plug which arrived yesterday and a hook was screwed into the  underside of the shelf, an knot tied in the wire and hay presto we are in business.

I cut a timber to go on top of the fridge to protect it from the heat from the heat mat.


The heat mat was unrolled and a mushroom tray with soft bricks placed on it to flatten the mat as it has been rolled up in a box and would not initially lay flat. I left the heat mat on for a while, it had not warmed up that much, but it had flattened when I removed the mushroom tray & weights.  


There was that confusion about Centigrade and Fahrenheit, when I bought the heat mat the box states that "it warms the root area 10-20 degrees above ambient temperature" and I thought it was Centigrade as the dimensions were in mm on the box but on closer inspection printed on the mat, it states Fahrenheit, which real terms we are only looking at an increase of about 5.5 - 11 degrees C from the ambient temperature, half of that I was expecting..


I have purchased a E27 Light Bulb Lamp Holder that I will wire and screw directly under the shelf lifting the light up further away from the top of the little freezer.

Two full seed trays fit on top of the fridge under the lights comfortably so that's 30 vending machine cups in two 15 tray modules where I can start stuff off early.

I just need to get the greenhouse erected on Spencer Road so I have somewhere to farm it out to when they start getting a little larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment