Sunday 7 April 2024

First Early Potatoes In Buckets

 

My sister popped in to help me get my socks and medical boots on and I took myself to my allotment for a couple of hours, I worked on getting some nice two year old compost out of one of my Daleks and into buckets and planting my 8 first earlies.

The plan was to ring and let my Daughters know I had arrived safe and sound, problem was I forgot to take my phone and I didn't find that out until I was in the potting shed. 

I thought, I'm only going to be here a couple of hours, and my Plot Neighbour is on site so I'm not alone should I fall or need help. I will let them know when I'm back home.

As advised by the Royal Marsden I cover myself with sun cream and have taken to wearing a hat on the plot which is something I've never really done in the past. 


Unfortunately the mares tail had made its way into the composer bin, but had gone around and around the inside of the Dalek so the middle was basically free of the mares tail.  

I used the the long Power Planter and the Ryobi drill to break up the compost so I could empty with a large trowel it into buckets. 



The face of my daughter in this photo, looks just like my late wife when I was in trouble.  She sent her sister this photo with a message that I had arrived safe and sound.

She had phoned me 12 times and funnily enough I had not answered because my phone was at home! 

My plot neighbour Andy was on site so I was comfortable not having a phone with me and I had arranged to leave the same time as Andy so I didn't have to get in and out of the car to deal with the gates. 

Now she knows how a Dad worries when his daughters are going somewhere and why I ask them to let me know when they leave and arrive at their destination. 







I heard the gate go, and the thought "I do hope that's not Emma." 

It was, and I got a good dressing down for not obeying my own rules, on letting people know you have reached your destination in one piece. 

This was another photo she sent to her sister. With a message she had found me playing with the dirt. 





The two square flower buckets with lids are my first early spuds 


Four large buckets of 50% New compost and 50% old compost ready to go into square flower buckets for the second earlies to be planted at a future visit. 

Andy gave me a five minute warning that he was going so I could gather the last of the tools and put them away in the shed and we left about 12:15pm 

No comments:

Post a Comment