Thursday, 1 April 2021

Planning and Reviewing April in Previous Years

Reviewing the diary over the last Eight years for April 

2013 - After Burning everything that could be burnt in March, I finally started digging and weeding the first four beds on Mill Green Allotment, installing the woodchip paths and establishing the comfrey bed.

2014 - Potatoes in buckets, Potatoes in the ground, Sowing Tomatoes, Beetroots, Spring Onions, weeding and fertilising beds, potting on tomatoes into vending machine cups. a cold snap and fleece over the spuds.

2015 -  New edging to beds, Planting potatoes in buckets, Potatoes in the ground, Brassicas into vending machine cups, Sowing Tomatoes,  

2016 - Daffs in Comfrey bed 1, Digging and weeding new beds, Freecycle Slabs, planting Potatoes

2017 Infrastructure works, paths desperately need replacing Neglecting Mill Green in favour of Spencer Road site as access is just so difficult due to construction traffic and no where to park. Jen in hospital with pneumonia so huge reduction in anything associated with the allotment, finally discharged and turns into Hell boy and re admitted. Constructed runner bean cantilever brackets and the extension to the shed at Spencer Road. Construction and erection of the comfrey pipe at Spencer Road. Kerb edgings and a double Dalek picked up from Freecycle. 

2018 - Plot 1 covered with weed membrane, Still on Spencer Road allotment at this stage, Plant Spuds in Buckets, Sacks of grass from Ron, Tomatoes potted on into vending machine cups, Allium Trays and planted onions, Spuds planted in the ground, Bought new B&Q Strimmer, Sowing Cucumbers, Butternut Squash and Marrows, Apple Trees in Blossom, Bluebells flowering in the Comfrey Bed, Cabbages and cauliflowers planted donated by Keith & Pauline, Onions in modules planted out,   

2019 - A lot of time was spent going backwards and forwards to the hospital due to the injury I had at the end of March and the Cellulitis that had flared up on my leg. Because of the pain and the infection gardening was really out of the question. My daughter and future son-in-law did what they could to help me get plants in the ground on the plot and I was only allowed to attend in a purely supervising role. I did make onion bed planting membrane and I was allowed to visit on my own to fill up the compost Dalek. First Early spuds in buckets, Obtained Tumbling Composter off Freecycle.  

2020 - April 2020 was the sunniest on record according to the met office, rain finally came on the 28th April. Due to lockdown many people started taking more care of their gardens, and National Gardening Week was 27th April - 3rd May. As shielding my wife most of my growing activities were confined to the back garden although those with allotments were allowed to visit for exercise purposes. The normal amount of tomatoes in buckets was reduced and I had the Bio Green City Jungle and the Quadgrow on the decking to grow tomatoes in. My WORK Hydroshot arrived but I could not trial it on the allotment. Growing Tomatoes and Radishes in the Space Saver Greenhouse. Cutting more path weed membrane for plot 1. Reviewed the City Jungle and made unboxing and assembly video. Won a couple of competitions, for a Compost Caddy and a hanging basket gadget.      


Planned for 2021

Getting Greenhouse on Plot 1A cleared and ready for action, Get the Square Foot Gardening beds in place. Dig and weed the path beside the Raspberries and for the Rhubarb beds as they will be dispatched mid May.


Coronavirus UPDATE

We are gradually coming out of lockdown and shielding appears to be easing because of the vaccination program, although the 3rd lockdown is likely mid Summer if we follow what's happening in Europe .    

To Do List  

Below is the to do list in no particular order of what needs to be done and what has slipped. 

Mill Green - Plot 1A
  • Clear Bed 2 of Cabbages and cover - Done
  • Remove and dispose of Corex on the roof - Done.
  • Re felt the roof of the shed - Awaiting a couple of dry days 
  • Fix the potting Bench - TBD. 
  • Rhubarb Bed to be created - I have three Rhubarb beds made up and need to get the ground dug and manured before the plants are dispatched from May 18th 2021
  • Tidy Up the Allotment  - Ongoing 
  • Weeding - Ongoing  

Mill Green - Plot 1

  • Square Foot Gardening Beds - Timber for all Square Foot Gardening Beds now cut, One set need nails removed, painting and drilling for fixing screws.
  • Beds and Paths - Rhubarb Beds and Paths next after the Square Foot Gardening Beds.   
  • Apple - Prune Trees 
  • Onion Sets - Get in the ground 
  • Erect the greenhouse - New Greenhouse now installed all that remains to do is fit the automatic vent and cover with debris netting for some shade internally.
  • Clear the debris from the bottom of Plot 1 - Done
  • Install the kerb edging along the bottom of Plot 1 - TBD
  • Clear the weeds and install a 600mm margin around the perimeter of the plot - TBD
  • Trench for hose from corner of plot 1 to the tap and water butt - Done
  • Watering system to be installed from corner of plot 1 up to Plot 1A - TBD
  • Tidy Up the Allotment - Cleared during March with the assistance of Emma & Kelly 
  • Timber in Incinerators - All burnt before the end of March 

Home 
  • Planning - Ongoing
  • Cut Planting Membrane - Make some narrow bed tomato planting sheets
  • Cold Frame  - Relocated 
  • Space Saver Greenhouse - Cleared
  • Potatoes - into Mushroom Trays for Chitting - Done  
 


No comments:

Post a comment