Tuesday 3 January 2017

The Grow Station Commeth

I've been thinking about heated propagators for some time, then Big Mallly on the grapevine forum showed us his latest build. LED Growlight Mk1.....Total cost approx £10.   



Now I could have bought the materials and made one like the big guys but in the end I decided to buy a 225 LED 14W Grow Panel Red Blue Hydroponic Light Board Grow Tent LED hanger for £9.99 including delivery and save myself the bother.

I also bought a 500mm x 500mm Horticultural Heat Mat Propagator to build a grow station in my external brick shed mounted on top of the small freezer that holds the allotment produce. 

SWMBO only allows my little Ikea Greenhouse in the kitchen behind the patio door, I'll not get away with window cill set up as she has too many ornaments on them. 

I just need to find a home for the lawnmower that lived on top of the freezer, which means clearing out the other two sheds as they are full to the doors with useful rubbish.

My plan is to make a timber table with large door stops as feet, I built one like that for my old printer to give me storage space under about 25 years ago, and the feet are in one of the sheds that need clearing somewhere. Bet I can't find them and end up buying more!  This will stop any significant heat getting to the top of the freezer.

Photos will follow when I have made the space and the component parts have arrived. I may include a light box to reflect the light in towards the plants.

I just may be able to get some tomatoes off to a flying start this year, and get an early batch going.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the completed build Alan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mal, I will do an update once it all arrives and I have found a new home for the lawn mower.

      Delete