Tuesday 17 December 2019

In My Seed Box For 2020 - Beans


Since 2013 I have grown a number of types & varieties of Beans, but this is what I have in my seed box for 2020

Self Saved & Seed Circle

Blue Beans
Cara La Virgen de la Baneza Leon (Climbing French Bean)
Cherokee Trail of Tears (Climbing French Bean)
Crimson Flowered (Broad Bean)
Kew Blue
Major Cook's (Climbing French Bean)
Nun's Belly Button (Bush Bean)
Ryder's Blue CoCo (Climbing French Bean)
Scarlet Emperor (Runner Bean)
Vermont Cranberry (Bush Bean)

Review Of Seed Stocks in Packets

Elena (Soya Bean) - Glycine Max - 50 Seeds - Free with GYO Mag - Mr Fothergill's
Pickwick (Bush Bean)                   - 12 Seeds - £2.09 - Thompson & Morgan - Sow By Dec 2016
Scarlet (Runner Bean)                 - 50 Seeds - Free with GYO Mag - Mr Fothergill's
Stardust (Runner Bean)               - 45 Seeds - Free Trial - Marshalls - Sow By 9/2020

Update - Found 2nd Nov 2018 in a random box

White Lady - Quantity unknown but came as part of a Sarah Raven's Bumper Cropping Collection - Use by 2017 but I shall give them a go.

Growing Selection for 2020

My annual runner is normally Scarlet Emperor as they normally provide a good yield and a single panel in the wall at Mill Green Allotment provides me with ample runners for my needs but also for passing on to my sister, eldest daughter and our neighbour.

In 2018 I trialled Marshalls new Runner bean Stardust. Due to my leg injury in 2019 I never actually started off any Runner beans, however nature being nature and the fact that I didn't get around to clearing the bean bed beans self seeded and I ended up with a small crop anyway

If I can get enough beds in on Plot 1 then I will try some of the French climbing beans as well as Nun's Belly Button,  Vermont Cranberry & Pickwick on the French or Bush Bean front.

No comments:

Post a Comment