Sunday 17 July 2016

Mill Green Allotment Update


Well when I visited the allotment on Sunday I found out why the road was off limits for a couple of days last week. The container offices, and welfare facilities for the project have been installed on the nice base with acco drainage that was cast the week before.

I was really hoping that the main entrance off the junction of Mill Green and Middleton Road was going to be used for the project, and we would be able to use the road for parking, but it looks like we are stuck with limited access for the whole duration of the build.

I have written to Redrow and requested their assistance in for formation of a pick up and drop off area just behind the timber gates to the allotment that can be seen at the end of the access road that serves both construction sites and the allotment.

It would certainly assist Mencap who have two half plots and a full plot on the site, as well as the rest of us. In anticipation of the access problems I'm growing less watering dependant crops at Mill Green this year, but even with the Heath Robinson watering system in place I and others still need to visit every 2-3 days depending on the weather to keep plants alive in the grown houses and green houses. 


The runners are doing particularly well, I need to try and visit mid week to
water especially if we get the heat wave they are talking about.
 
 
The Parsnip tree looks to be on it's last legs so I will have to keep an eye on it to collect the seeds. The first early spuds are dying back and I'm guessing Sunday Mill Green will get my full attention and the spuds will be harvested.

The sweetcorn is about 900mm (3 feet) high but no corns forming at the moment, and the beetroots are fattening up. The sprouts are on the way up and some stakes will need to be installed soon.

The cucumbers are not doing as well as those at plot 23B and the slugs have destroyed one of the butternut squash as well as making holes in my overwintered cabbage that has now decided to bolt.

No comments:

Post a Comment