Wednesday 7 March 2018

Catawassa Onion Planting Membrane




I cut the planting membrane for my Catawissa Walking Onions today, I started in the garden as it was dry and as soon as I got set up it started to rain, so the scaffold board came into the kitchen as was supported on a couple of fold up tables, and I continued inside.




I do love making these planting membranes with the soldering iron, you can see the silver paint pen guidance lines and ticks setting out on the sheet. I then use the lid from a jar of pickles that has a 75mm diameter and has a nice beveled edge to draw the circles with the silver Pentel Paint marker pen without smudging on the sheet. 

I line up the guidance lines drawn on the inside of the lid with the silver guidance line on the membrane, and the arrow with the tick marks for the centres of the holes and draw around the lid leaving me with the desired pattern. Next the trusty soldering iron is used to cut and weld the edge of the membrane so that it will not fray. 

I have sheets like this that I have been using annually for the last 4-5 years and they are still as good as the day I made them and they help keep the weeds at bay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment