Stole this post from a local plant nursery
Wednesday, 23 June 2021
Monday, 21 June 2021
This morning I turned my Greenhouse on plot 1 into a TARDIS! and set up the Quadgrows.
In the time I had this morning I only managed potted up into 6 of the 8 pots available on the Quadgrows.
The remaining tomatoes for the Quadgrow and the second Narrow Bed are with the extra courgettes resting in a bath of water until my next visit, which may not be until late Friday or Monday as I don't have anyone to keep an eye on the wife this week.
Photo when the plot 1A greenhouse was first covered, the debris netting weathered over the years made the greenhouse mucky and finally split on the gable end. The plot 1A greenhouse will get the same internal netting make over during the winter months.
Meanwhile on the plot...... The Bloody foxes had dug out my crimson crush tomato and torn the planting membrane in the process. The poor plant didn't look healthy and I have no idea how long it had been laying there. She was re potted into the ground and watered. most of the 2.5 Litre Hydro Cups were empty or near too it.
The Gherkins (National) are working there way up to the bottom of the climbing frame and so far are resisting slug & snail attacks.
In the evening as it was dry I made another Tomato Narrow Bed Planting Membrane for the second narrow bed and the tomatoes that are in the greenhouse waiting to be planted out. I also trimmed up a 2.4m x 0.6m Blank that was on the first Narrow bed and made a second 2.4m x 0.6m Winter Blank from the large end of roll I had in the brick store.
Thursday, 17 June 2021
Today I managed to move the Micro and Mini Tomatoes from their vending machine cups and potted them on into 127mm 5" pots and get a selection of tomatoes planted out into buckets just before it started raining again.
Some of the Micro Toms already have flowers growing.
Half have been potted up using Dalefoot Wool Compost for Potting which is a blend British Wool, Bracken & Comfrey The other half have been potted up using Westlands New Horizon Tomato Planter made with BIO3. It's going to be interesting to see what difference the different composts make to the growth and development of the plants.
Due to the additional store I won in a Waltons competition there is a reduction in Tomatoes grown at home in the back garden from 22 Flower Buckets to just 10 Buckets this year. The City Jungle that I erected during the pandemic in 2020 remains in the back garden as do the two self watering pots.
I have two Quadgrows so 8 pots in Plot 1 Greenhouse and six plants out on the two narrow allotment plot, which makes 27 plants in all growing this year excluding the Micro & Mini Varieties in the Space Saver greenhouse.
Wednesday, 16 June 2021
The 75mm or 3" Spring Clamps that I had bought arrived today, so I took the opportunity with the bad weather warning for Thursday and Friday to use them to clip the netting to the blue water pipe just above the bed frame so that I don't loose any netting cover like I during the last high winds.
Tuesday, 15 June 2021
Monday, 14 June 2021
The Bull nose ring was found on the floor, recovered and placed on the bolt on the back of the door so that idverde can come and fix it.
There was talk of getting their welding guy to deal with this and if they do I have suggested a slight angle like the one in the photo above be used.
With the scorching sun of Sunday I was expecting to see the beetroots half dead but in fact they were standing and looked to be very healthy, so I gave then a good watering.
As with the beetroots, I was a little worried about the radishes but they appear OK so they had a good watering as well. John has promised me a dozen strawberry runners and I'm thinking they will go in the other raised planter with cover on the other side of the greenhouse next year.
The little summer house on the grassed area is a retreat for his wife and child and him at a squeeze, he has a small shed to erect beside it as his man-cave.
Sunday, 13 June 2021
Saturday, 12 June 2021
Six Gherkin National plants have been planted and watered into a new layer of compost that I formed as a hillock and moat as I'm assuming that Gherkins are a little like cucumbers and don't like there roots to get saturated but are happy to search out the water.