Monday 14 October 2024

Saving Tomato Seeds As It's Raining

 


Looking at the weather forecast for the Allotment and out of the window this morning it's not looking promising for a visit to the plot today. 

  • Tuesday mist in the morning but no rain just overcast all day
  • Wednesday high chance of rain for most of the day. 
  • Thursday mist in the morning and cloudy and rain in the afternoon
  • Friday rain most of the day.   


As no allotment action today I spent some time this morning spreading out some Crimson Cocktail seeds out on a plastic lid saved from a tin of Christmas KP nuts to dry off before packing them into seed bags for the seed box.

Yes I know they are F1 and I know they may not run true, but I did this with Crimson Crush from the plant I got before the seeds became available and followed the plants that grew more in keeping with the original plant and they have always produced good tomatoes and have not suffered from blight.

A Suttons Crimson Cocktail pack with 10 seeds was £4.49 last year and I only grew 5 seeds on, so in 2025 I will germinate 5 of the original F1 seeds and 5 of the F2 saved seeds and see how close the copies are to the original and look for any difference in the foliage and the fruit. 

If the F2 seed produce as the original I will save seeds from the F2 fruit in 2025 for F3 Seeds to be used in 2026 as I have done with the Crimson Crush.  

No comments:

Post a Comment