Sunday 20 March 2022

More Work on the Square Foot Garden Beds

As Kelly was on Mum watch duties I managed to get on the Allotment from 8 - 10 am this morning working on getting the two Square Foot Gardening Beds completed. I say working on because I made great headway but there is still some items to do.


I got the second 100 Litre sack of Vermiculite that had been stored in the plot 1A greenhouse. I Purchased both sacks from Marshalls last year. As the first sack it had been double wrapped in paper sacks for protection it during delivery.


I opened and tipped out the contents in the bed that already had half a sack of both the Westland New Horizon All Plant Compost and Westland New Horizon BIO3 All Vegetable Peat Free Compost and a sack of Miracle Gro Peat Free Premium Fruit and Vegetable Compost and Clover Multi-Purpose Peat Based Compost. 

Vermiculite is incredibly light weight and I was a little worried when I first used it yesterday that the wind might take it, but it stayed there long enough to be mixed into the compost.


Square foot gardening bed has had the Coco Coir in there since last year when I hydrated the block, the cardboard had more or less rotted away so a new layer of cardboard was added yesterday together with a sack of Miracle Gro Peat Free Premium Fruit and Vegetable Compost and Clover Multi-Purpose Peat Based Compost. 

The volume in SFG Bed two is greater than SFG Bed 1 done yesterday, so I added two sacks of Equigrow Soil Conditioner on top of the mix I have used in Bed 1. It will be interesting to see any difference in performance between the two beds.


Two Sacks worth of Equigrow Soil Conditioner on top of the Mix.


Two Sacks worth of Equigrow Soil Conditioner on top of the mix raked out


Then worked into the mix using the Claw that was bought for me 24 years ago on my 40th Birthday by Auntie Dawn who must have known that one day I would need it! I didn't really garden in those days other than cutting grass and hedges. 


You can see that I've worked the Equigrow Soil Conditioner in on the left side, but have not yet done the right side in this photo.


The bed once the Equigrow Soil Conditioner was worked into the whole bed. The level is still down from the surrounding frame so it was time to add something else.


Happy Compost Enriched Top Soil. I only have the one bag so I divided it up and spread it on both of the Square Foot gardening Beds.


Second Square Foot Gardening Bed once the Happy Compost Enriched Top Soil had been sprinkled over the two Square Foot Gardening Beds, still not taking the fill to the top of the frame on the second bed which is deeper than the first


Time to add some Willy Wormcasts from D.T.Brown to the mix


Willy Wormcasts up close and personal


Bed once the Willy Wormcasts were sprinkled over the Happy Compost Enriched Top Soil


View of both the the Square Foot Gardening Beds


View of the second Square Foot Gardening Bed once the Willy Wormcasts and Happy Compost Enriched Top Soil had been worked into the top of the mix.


Both Square Foot gardening Beds after working in the Willy Wormcasts and the Happy Enriched Top Soil into both beds


Fox protection put back in place


I still need to sort out the vertical climbing frame to the back of the second bed and install the two water pipe hoops, then cut a length of debris netting big enough to cover and protect from the foxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment