Thursday 3 March 2022

Lakemore White Seedless Grapevine Arrives.


My second variety of grapevine arrived yesterday and it's a
 KA1985 Grapevine (Vitis) Lakemore White (Seedless) which is supplied as a 3 litre potted plant for £19.99 from Suttons. 

Grape 'Lakemont' is a superb grape to grow for a number of reasons. It is a delicious dessert grape or can be eaten straight from the vine when ready. The oval fruits grow in an abundance of sizeable clusters that you can harvest September.

These grapes grow to a good size, are white, seedless and taste sweet and rich. Like many Grapes, it also grows show-stopping lobed foliage that ‘colours up’ well in the autumn season. Furthermore, it is the ideal for growing on sunny, south-facing wall which I have.

Lakemore grapevines produce prolific crops that show impressive and are resistance to Powdery and Downy Mildew too.

When I unwrapped the plastic from around the pot I found a couple of stowaways, who were immediately dispatched to sluggy heaven. I have enough of my own slugs and snail without importing more from Suttons ;0) they need to check their products for wildlife. 

In the photo above I have marked where the wires are on the section of wall to the right of the right comfrey pipe, where the red grape KC5383 Grapevine Plant - Flame is already in the ground. 

Between the two comfrey pipes once the Dalek and two leaf bins have been removed and a new footpath put in, I have marked where the higher wires are already and where lower ones will be installed, and the vertical where the KA1985 Grapevine (Vitis) Lakemore will be planted. 

Height of cordon trained vine: 1.8m (6’). Spread of cordon trained vine: 1.5m (5’). Untrained plants may reach up to 8m (26’)


I did get notification that there was a slight delay in sending out this order and on the 28th March I was sent an email that it had been dispatched, then another on the 1st March telling me its due on the 3rd March, it arrived midday on the
 2nd. 

On my programme of works I should have moved the leaf bins and Dalek already, and got the area for the second grapevine ready but I haven't yet as we were playing with building the covered store last weekend. 

There are already ring bolts and wires at a high level, but I will need to add a couple of levels lower down where the leaf bins have been covering the wall.

For the moment the grapevine is sitting in the bin storage area waiting for me to clear its new home. It appeared a little dry so I gave it a drink, but there was some fine rain falling and due on the weather forecast so it should be OK until I can get it in the ground. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment