Reviewing the diary over the last five years for July
2013 - Infrastructure works, harvest of first early and cucumbers and the best cabbages I have ever grown ! Beginners luck
2014 - A really good year with plentiful harvests .
2015 - Great year for beetroots, Wrens in the bird box .
2016 - Lots of coffee grounds, drying coffee, Building a replacement door for the outbuilding from decking timber.
Mill Green - Onion White Rot, Runner Beans,
Spencer Road - Comfrey Bed 2 completed, Four Beds, Butternut squash, Beetroots, spuds and spring onions. Onions, Potatoes, Beetroots and infrastructure works. Burpless Cucumbers go manic
Home - Tomatoes finally get transplanted into flower buckets.
2017 - Really behind on growing and keeping the plot weed free, especially the paths on Mill Green as the woodchip had finally rotted down into good growing medium. Absent neighbour meaning weeds encroaching from plot 1. 11th July first red tomato, Meeting with Redrow and Council to agree the formation of the Drop off and Pick Up area, SF60 Potatoes in Buckets experiments, 5 Beds productive at Spencer Road, 30th July harvest of First Early Spuds & Onions
July is normally the month for harvesting rather than planting, but below is the to do list in no particular order and catching up with what actually happened in June and what has slipped. Way too much has slipped.
Below is the to do list in no particular order and catching up with what actually happened in June and what has slipped
To Do List
· As much infrastructure works as the weather will allow - Not enough over the first three months of the year due to the beast from the East and bad weather. Now the intense Sun is putting me off, so I can't really win until we get some overcast weather.
· Weed & Level the Shed and Greenhouse Area - Started but need to be completed
· Remove the Trees from along the wall - TBD too late to burn now
· Lay weed membrane over the whole plot - Completed
· Collect the last of the slabs from Spencer Road - Done
· Lay the slabs for the shed and Greenhouse - TBD
· Erect the greenhouse - TBD
· Move Comfrey Pipe from Spencer Road to Mill Green - Completed
· Rhubarb Bed to be created - TBD
· Stockpile timber and keep dry ready to burn next year - Ongoing
· Cut more path weed membrane - Ongoing
· Make a Spring Green planting membrane sheet - New
· Purchase vent opener for new greenhouse.- TBD
|Potatoes - plant sets for autumn harvest|
|Week 3||Cucumber (ridge) - begin to harvest|
|Week 3||Kale - transplant to final position|
|Week 3||Onions - stop watering|
|Week 4||Beetroot - begin to harvest|
|Week 4||Cabbage (spring) - sow (pots / temporary bed)|
|Week 4||Sweetcorn - begin to harvest|