Reviewing the diary over the last seven years for August
2013 - Built my first Comfrey Pipe after making it in buckets and experiencing the stench, harvesting spring onions, radishes, Wyevale seeds at 50%, trouble getting a fork in the ground used a pick axe. Central path of paving slabs from front garden went in on Mill Green. Wyevale 50p seed sale
2014 - Growing Marrows for the first time, harvesting, Onions, Spring Onions, Carrots, Wyevale 50p seed sale end of August.
2015 - Onion End Rot on Mill Green allotment, harvesting month, Digging up paths for compost bins, First Red Tomato 6th August, Sowing Beetroots, whitlow appeared on my finger just as I got my second plot at Spencer Road.
2016 - End July / Early Aug end of season gardening sale at Wilko, First and last time trying to grow Celery and butternut squash, Pickling Beetroot, 17th August first ripe tomato, end of season Coir top up for next year.
2017 - Harvesting and Pickling Beetroots, Spring Onions in cut down Flower Buckets, SF60 Potato In Buckets Harvested, Self Seeding Pumpkins, Comfrey Pipe Upgrade, Overwintering SF60 Spring Onion Experiment, Agreed the Drop off and Pick Up area with Redrow and the Council, August Bank Holiday - Wyevale Seed Sale
2018 - Harvesting so many tomatoes from the three tomato plants on the allotment. Second beetroot bed planted up first week of August. Finally have the stove in the shed and can make coffee. Harvesting cabbage and cauliflower. Pickling Beetroots. Harvesting cucumbers, courgettes, runner beans. Built the rear extension to the shed on plot 1 .Drying tomato seeds for seed circles. Harvesting potatoes and tomatoes. Picked up packs of seed from the Wyevale seed sale. Started to review my seed box for 2019.
2019 - Harvesting spuds cucumbers, runner beans etc.. High winds had to rescue sweetcorn. Runner bean frame collapsed so made good on a temporary basis. Shed repairs & weeding. Make a plug plant extraction tool. Pick up materials for cucumber A Frame. Won Kew Gardens Collection Heavy Duty Bypass Secateurs. Segway Stag Do
Early into March I ended up self isolating because my wife is very high risk and from the looks we were in isolation for a lot longer than the 12 weeks.
- Clear Bed 2 of Cabbages and cover - TBD
- Progress on the wall rebuild behind Shed - Contractor pulled off site due to lockdown
- Remove and dispose of Corex on the roof - TBD once wall has been rebuilt
- Re felt the roof of the shed - Tree removed from roof, temporary cover in place
- Fix the potting Bench - TBD
- Clear the Wasp Nest in greenhouse 1A - To Be Done once the wasps have gone!
- Rhubarb Bed to be created - I have now cleared the weeds in the bed and covered in cardboard in current location and move when ready
- Tidy Up the Allotment - Ongoing
- Weeding - Ongoing
- Plant Baking Potato Squash - Done 4th July
- Plant Butternut Squash - Done 5th July
- Sow Bed of Beetroots - TBD
- As much infrastructure works as the weather will allow - SevRaised Beds Constructed in Feb two installed in March and waiting for areas to be dug and weeded
- Install the kerb edging along the bottom of Plot 1 - TBD
- Clear the weeds and install a 600mm margin around the perimeter of the plot - Ongoing
- Woodchip the Margin around the perimeter of the plot. When able
- Beds and Paths - Four Bed and Paths installed by Emma & Andy others to be formed when I'm able to get to the allotment again.
- Erect the greenhouse - New Timbers to be cut and treated
- Tidy Up the Allotment - Courtesy of Emma & Andy during lockdown .
- Stockpile Timber ready for burning - Now covered to keep dry until September
- Plant Mash Potato Squash - TBD
- Planning - Ongoing
- Catalogue Seeds - Vegetables for 2020 done just flowers remain.
- New Cut Path Weed Membrane - Completed during April 2020
- New Cut Bed Weed Membrane - Ideal Isolation Job in dry weather
- New Cut Planting Membrane - Ideal Isolation Job need to make some squash sheets c/w watering points
- None at the moment.- Add when remembered.