Saturday 11 February 2023

Spear & Jackson Carbon Steel Digging Fork & Spade Set


During the week I broke the handle and shaft of the fork I have had for the last 10 years. It was only a cheap thing from the Co-op that was £8 - £10 originally and then reduced to £4 - £5 at the end of season sale. 

I was looking for a replacement and was astounded just how much forks go for these days. So in the end I went for a well know make that I have other tools by and got the Fork and Spade for about £5 more than buying a comparable fork on it's own. 

Spear & Jackson Carbon Steel Digging Fork & Spade Set item code (86263) Screwfix £29.99  

Forged from heat-treated carbon steel for extra strength. Epoxy-coated head for improved resistance to rust, scratches, humidity and alkaline in the soil. With soft-grip, forward-tilting handle giving the ideal digging angle.

  • Rust-Resistant Epoxy Coated Heads
They didn't have it in stock, but I bought it, and it was delivered to the store by 11:30 the following day. It was well packaged as you can see in the photos above. Cardboard packing and cable tied together around the Socket and the D handle grip.





The ends of the forks Tines were protected with rubber end caps 


Which when removed exposed the shaped ends to the tines. 


After digging in green manure and soil improver in two beds today, I was very happy with the grip and feel of the D Handle grip, and I love the fact that the shaft is red and easy to spot when you get to the end of the day and are rounding up the tools to put back in the shed, much better and easier to spot than my old green shafted fork. 

No comments:

Post a Comment