Thursday 2 August 2018

Tomato Woes



Some of my tomatoes are displaying signs of blossom-end rot. This relatively common garden problem is not a disease, but rather a physiological disorder caused by a calcium imbalance within the plant. It can occur in pepper, squash, cucumber, and melon fruits as well as tomatoes. I 

have never had problems with blossom-end rot and I didn’t notice anything until after the two month drought and the rain that finally came. 

I’ve read that Blossom-end rot is most common when the growing season starts out wet and then becomes dry when fruit is setting. Damage first appears when fruits are approximately half their full size. The water-soaked areas enlarge and turn dark brown and leathery. These areas will eventually begin to rot, so the fruit should be picked and discarded. 

So that is exactly what I’m doing I’m also making a note or which varieties have it so that I can avoid them in the future





Then I noticed some varieties splitting


And then I noticed the early signs of blight on the 100s & 1000s so I harvested the two plants and removed them from the others and hopefully the green toms will ripen in the greenhouse  .

No comments:

Post a Comment