Sunday 6 March 2016

Installing a Bench Top and Comfrey Bed 1


Plot 23B this morning it was frozen and frosty when I woke up but by the time I got to the allotment the weather was mild. I had a move around in the shed so that I could fix the battens to the front flank and rear for the bench. I added a timber to the front and marked the bench on the underside and drilled holes so I could screw it down all around.

The door frame is now very stiff because of the shelf at the head of the door frame and bench at mid height just above the lock on the door.

I moved the hook and eye from the outside to the inside so that the wind does not catch the door when I'm inside the shed and I have enough light in there to see what I'm doing. I will get a chain with a hook to hold it at right angels when it's open

I've moved the little three draw cabinet over under the bench and at the moment have left the plastic storage unit on the right hand side.

Having now sorted the bench and shelf out on the left hand side, I'm thinking about adding another later on the right hand side so I can stack weed membrane and debris netting.


I then decided to see how far I could get with digging and weeding the couch grass out of the comfrey bed and installing the kerb stones picked up from freecycle a couple of weeks ago. On pulling the plastic back I was happy to see very little evidence of new weed growth.

I managed the first 2.4m x 1m and then added the decking board back 400mm from the kerb edging. I need to take a lump hammer down with me to knock the pegs in next visit. 

Now I just need the comfrey to pop its head up on plot 1A and I can get some root cuttings and start them off in loo rolls like I did with the ones I bought off ebay 3 years ago for plot 1A.

I will woodchip the path at the rear of my plot when I get some woodchip and time but that's a job for much later down the road.  


This afternoon I have been playing with the plan as one does, I don't expect to get all the beds in this year but this is my goal.

I've reworked the layout to accommodate the two cages that will be made out of the 6'x6' greenhouse frames and I get two 600mm x 1.8 bed Number 17 & 18 and I'm thinking about a framework or an arch for growing cucumbers and other climbing plants in those beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment