Thursday 17 March 2016

Extended Lunch Breaks

Having a few extra hours down the allotment during the week has been an aim of mine for some time, I'm trying to manage my time a little better this year and keeping an eye on the weather to see if it's possible to get a few extra hours in during the week. My wife baby sits twice a week so the objective is to drop her off and continue to the allotment because I'm half way there anyway, and if possible, pick her up on the way back. That will give me and extra 3 hours twice a week which is 6 hours of additional progress.

I can afford to do this as during the soap hours 7-9 pm I can catch up on the work hours for the day. The alternative during the height of summer and the longer lighter days is to go to the allotment during the soap hours, which is likely to go down with SWMBO like a fart in a spaceship. So what have I achieved with my additional visits this week? The kerb stones to the front of Plot 23B have been installed, the daleks that were down the front of the allotment are now at the rear waiting for me to complete Comfrey Bed 2 and place Daleks 4-6 in their permanent homes.

I have taken a car load of rubbish and broken glass away from the plot and disposed of it, and I have generally tidied up getting ready to start disposing of all the stones and broken slabs etc. at the front of the allotment where the greenhouse is going to be erected.

Some paving slabs came up on freecycle Sunday but it looks like I was not lucky this time, it did say the needed to be collected Wednesday morning so I'm not booking any site visits for Wednesday, I have my bi-monthly LRUG - London Revit User Group meeting Wednesday evening anyway. 

Monday Derek the site rep was there and we had a natter and a coffee together at the end of our couple of hours of productivity and he tells me that even if you leave the shed door open the little darling still damage the shed as they don't even try the door before attacking the locks! As the greenhouse is in there, I have started to lock it.

Late Monday evening I received an email from a Frances telling me that I can have the 20-30 slabs but quantity makes an extreme difference because if they are the larger 600 x 600 mm then I will not be able to get so many in the car and the address is in Epsom about 20-30 minutes away when the traffic is not manic.

Tuesday brought another extended lunch time session on the Allotment, I was up early and getting into some work as I'm playing with work and play time. (typing this blog is also play time).

I took the frayed 2.4m x 1.2m weed membrane with me that had holes in for sweet corn and potatoes and some 2.3m x 300mm strips that I have used to cover the holes in the membrane and have laid it after levelling the area.

Stones and broken lumps of brick and concrete are holding it down and the general idea is to use the vast amount of this material on the site to build up the greenhouse area to the same level as the shed.

Wednesday I was up at the crack of dawn and picked up the first batch of slabs and got them to the allotment by about 8:30. I decided to lay them on the weed membrane as some of the strips covering the holes had been moved by the wind. I will lift and lay hardcore and sand on a slab my slab basis as I expose and discover the hardcore as I clear the plot.

So here is a video of how it looked by about 10:45 on Wednesday


     

No comments:

Post a Comment