Wednesday 10 April 2024

Daleks on Bed 5


The idea last year was to compost on the bed and then this year just empty the contents and bring the level of the soil inside the bed frame up, and feed the bed. I was up at the crack of dawn (lucky Dawn) and got dressed and ready so I had assistance getting the medical boots on, from Kelly before she went to work. Shame I don't have long arms like a gorilla or better mobility to be able to do this myself.


The Daleks had been continuously topped up with alternating layers of Greens and Browns including Comfrey and coffee grounds. The last layer was shredded paper to act as insulation as we went into winter, and that's what remains un-composted, the rest of it looked adequately composted to feed the soil and full up the bed a little because the beds are not really raised more framed to separate and delineate the beds from the paths. With my current mobility issues I will be looking at making the beds higher in the future. 


The Kent & Stowe long handled fork and trowel and plastic shovel worked well getting the spoil that fell on the weed membrane as I lifted the Daleks up and off the Compost. With my current mobility issues I can't get down on my knees at the moment and these long handled tools are proving very useful. 


I skimmed the un-composed layers off the top of the two piles and put that material into the Hotbin.


I cut some more of the brassicas up from last years bed that I had not cleared to give my worms in my Hotbin some spring food, and then added another layer of un composed material from these Daleks. I have two square flower buckets with the un-composted material nearby to add when I gat another green layer of kitchen vegetable offcuts. 


Removal of the Heavy Duty weed membrane after cleaning up the top of the weed membrane.


Then I took a fork to both heaps and broke them up and spread them around the beds timber frame.


The Comfrey is now growing and giving the bluebells a run for their money.

No comments:

Post a Comment