Monday 27 March 2017

March Sowing & Growing Update


Here are the Lobjoits Green and Little Gem lettuces that were sown on the 6th March and last photographed on the 17th March when I did My Seed Box - Lettuce Review. I'm not sure if I will bother with sowing any more Lobjoits Green in a hurry as the germination rate is poor especially at three seeds per station, and I have many more varieties in the box to play with.

I have sown another 12 modules of Little Gem today because we like them


12 Modules of Reine des Glaces at one seed per module because that was all the seeds I had of that type from a seed circle.


The Bettollo F1 Beetroots  sown on the 16th March are just showing in the Space Saver Greenhouse where as the ones sown on 24th March just four days ago in the LED Grow Station are already more developed than them. Makes me feel like adding another box and grow light panel to the Portable Grow Light Station.




The North Holland Blood Red Spring Onions are doing well sown on the 16th March in the LED Grow House 12 days ago and moved to the space saver greenhouse six days ago. The do want to lean towards the light/ front of the greenhouse, but I keep turning them every couple of days to try and correct the lean.    


The Sprouts and Cauliflowers are doing OK, but I think that they need to be moved out of the Space saver Greenhouse and into the cold frame especially if we start having sunny days and higher day time temperatures.


Not all the varieties of cabbage are doing as well as each other and some have turned up their toes and will need re sowing, or replacements found, I think the sun and heat in the last couple of days could have knocked them back, but the Pixie & Prmo 2 didn't look particularly strong to start with. 


The tomatoes are doing well in the brick grow house and do not look too purple stemmed, as the night time temperatures in there are better than the space saver greenhouse. The ones in the small modules need moving up to vending machine cups in the next couple of days. I was hoping to have lost a tray of spuds in the ground over the weekend just gone to give me some extra space in here, but it didn't happen 



The Air Onions really need moving into their final bed but that realistically is not going to happen until next weekend if the weather remains fine and allows.

I still have to cut the scaffold boards, cut some weed membrane, dig and weed the bed and surrounding area, construct the bed and line with the weed membrane, decant compost from the dalek to fill and then plant the onions that's a full days work going on how long it took for the other tree/ walking onion bed.






No comments:

Post a Comment