Monday 14 November 2022

In My Seed Box For 2022 - Sweetcorn

 

My daughter Kelly declared early on in my ownership of an allotment that all sweetcorn grown was hers. Historically we have had some great harvests and the two types of corn that I have grown have been Swift and Lark F1. 2017 was extremely disappointing but it would appear that most people in the UK had a bad year with their Sweetcorn. 

In 2019 Marshalls sent me two different varieties to trial which were Alliance F1 and Tyson F1 again due to the leg injury I didn't get the infrastructure in to trial both varieties in 2019. 

The results with Marshalls Alliance F1 Hybrid Sweetcorn were nothing more than spectacular (see photos of harvest here) and I have to say they were the best Sweetcorn that I have grown to date, Tyson F1 were good but not as good as Alliance. 

In 2022 I grew Marshalls Moonshine F1 - 50 Seeds - £2.99 - packed year ending 03/21 and best before date 09/2022 I didn't manage to harvest sweetcorn as the squirrels hit the beds and stripped the lot! Thus, I can't give a verdict on how good or otherwise they were.


Planting membrane used for sweetcorn depending on the number of germinated sweetcorn plants I manage to raise. 




I did manage to get a second bed of Sweetcorn Picasso F1 - 35 Seeds - a New Variety to Mr Fothergill's - Costs £2.95 (last year) but again with bad germination and a squirrel attack I only ended up with eight cobs to harvest.   

New in 2021 and still in my Seed Box from last year Sweet Corn Illusion F1 - 25 Seeds - a new variety from Dobies - Cost £2.99 packed end of 2021
 
New!
 for 2023 Code 100300 - Eden F1 - Suttons 20 Seeds - £4.49 Sow by 2025 Packed year ending 2022

Sweetcorn 'Eden' is a fantastically flavoured variety producing super-sweet creamy white cobs that make the perfect snack when plucked straight from the plant! Borne on vigorous plants, the crisp, juicy cobs grow to 18-20cm long and are protected by a tight husk. Height: 190cm (6ft). Spread: 40cm (16in).

Sweetcorn 'Eden' F1 is a fantastically flavoured variety producing super-sweet creamy white cobs that make the perfect snack when plucked straight from the plant! 

Eden F1 reaches 1.9m (6'3" feet) with a spread of 400mm (16 inches) 


New!
 for 2023 Code 100299 - Pot of Gold F1 - Suttons 20 Seeds - £4.49 Sow by 2026 Packed year ending 2023

Sweetcorn ‘Pot of Gold’ is a dwarf variety reaching only 1.5m tall! This makes it the perfect choice for exposed sites or growing in large containers. The bicolored yellow and white cobs are deliciously sweet and tender and are the perfect size to fit in the pan whole! Height: 1.5m (5ft). Spread: 30cm (12in).

Sweetcorn ‘Pot of Gold’ is a dwarf variety growing to only 1.5m tall, making it the perfect choice for exposed sites or large containers. This will mean that I will not have to build such a high enclosure or cage to keep the squirrels away from them.

In 2023 I have two beds planned as far away from each other because I will have two different varieties growing and don't want any cross pollination to occur. I also need to find a way to keep the squirrels away and off the sweetcorn once it gets near to being ready for harvest because the pesky things know when they are ripe and will strip the lot!


No comments:

Post a Comment