Monday 19 December 2022

In My Seed Box For 2023 - Sweetcorn

 

My daughter Kelly declared early on in my ownership of an allotment that all sweetcorn grown was hers. Historically we have had some great harvests and the two types of corn that I have grown have been Swift and Lark F1. 2017 was extremely disappointing but it would appear that most people in the UK had a bad year with their Sweetcorn. 

In 2019 Marshalls sent me two different varieties to trial which were Alliance F1 and Tyson F1 again due to the leg injury I didn't get the infrastructure in to trial both varieties in 2019. 

The results with Marshalls Alliance F1 Hybrid Sweetcorn were nothing more than spectacular (see photos of harvest here) and I have to say they were the best Sweetcorn that I have grown to date, Tyson F1 grown in 2021 were good but not as good as Alliance. 

In 2022 I attempted to grow Marshalls Moonshine F1 - 50 Seeds - £2.99 - packed year ending 03/21 and best before date 09/2022 The germination rate was less that 40% and what did finally grow got hit by the rats with fluffy tails that run along the top of the wall that's built on my plot boundary.

A second planting of Sweetcorn Picasso F1  - 35 Seeds - a New Variety to Mr Fothergill's in 2022 was tried, the germination rate was poor and then the rats with fluffy tails hit regardless of the pop bottles I had placed over the corns and I ended up with only 8 corns that were viable. Worst year for sweetcorn ever. 

I have 3 different planting membranes that can be used for sweet corn they are 18, 21 & 24 holes and look like this 





Regardless of which two varieties I grow in 2023 I'm going to have to build cages to protect the sweet corns from the squirrels on and around the allotment site. 

Sweet Corn Illusion F1 - 25 Seeds - a new variety from Dobies - Cost £2.49 - packed Year ending 2021 Sow By 2024

I could use the 24 hole planting sheet if I get 100% germination.  A 21 hole planting sheet would be ideal and would allow for up to 84% Germination.


Sweet Corn Eden F1 - Suttons - 20 Seeds - Cost £ 4.49 - Item Code 10 03 00 - Packed year ending 2022 - Sow By 2025

A 21 hole planting sheet would be ideal if there is 100% germination, 18 hole works for a 90% germination rate. 


Sweet Corn Pot Of Gold F1 - Suttons - 20 Seeds - Cost £4.99 - Item Code 10 02 99 - Packed year ending 2023 - Sow By 2026 

A 21 hole planting sheet would be ideal if there is 100% germination, 18 hole works for a 90% germination rate.  


I'm Planning to have two beds of Sweetcorn  illusion F1 & Eden F1, one on Plot 1 and the other on Plot 1A because I have two different varieties growing, and don't want any cross pollination problems. 


No comments:

Post a Comment