Saturday 18 December 2021

Square Foot Gardening in 2022

 

The Square Foot gardening beds didn't happen last year, but I'm determined that at least two of the beds will be ready for Spring 2022. The grounds dug and weeded, frames are in and I have dehydrated the coir for one of the beds.  They are 4ft x4ft square and there will ultimately be three beds but I can't see the third happening next year, perhaps the year after just because there are so many mares-tail, couch grass and bindweed roots to extract and it takes me at least five hours to dig and weed a 1.2m x 1.2m bed, never mind the surrounding 600mm paths. 



My first task when considering Square Foot Gardening was to draw the layout and number the squares. Like the picture at the top right there will be a vertical climbing frame on the side parallel to the boundary wall and this in the top row I have placed climbing plants i.e. Gherkins & Cucumbers, now I'm hoping that cross pollination between them will not be a problem. It's something I will have to look into.







Next Row down some taller plants as in Aubergine & Peppers, however only one of these in a 305mm or 1 ft square leaves too much open land that I want to cover to slow down and shade the weeds, so I'm thinking Radish as they are fast to grow and perhaps even some bunches of spring onions.    




 1  Gherkin (2)  + Radish (8)
 2  Gherkin (2)  + Radish (8) or Possibly Spring Onions ?
 3  Cucumber (2) + Radish (8)
 4  Cucumber (2) + Radish (8) or 
Possibly Spring Onions ?
 5  Aubergine (1) – Green Knight F1 - Mr Fothergill's + Radish (12)
 6  Pepper (1) – Sweet Lunchbox + Radish (12) or Possibly Spring Onions ?
 7  Aubergine (1)  – Long Purple + Radish (12)  
 8  Pepper (1)  - Summer Salad + Radish (12) or Possibly Spring Onions?
 9  Chard (4) – Fordhook Giant
10 Carrots (16) – Snowman F1 (White Carrots) - D.T.Brown
11 Chard (4) – Bright Lights
12 Carrots (16) – Rainbow Mix - Thompson & Morgan 
13 Lettuce (4) – Little Gem
14 Beetroot (16) - Beetroot Kornett - Mr Fothergill's
15 Lettuce (4) – Amaze - D.T.Brown 
16 Beetroot (16) – Moneta

I have a selection of composts I will use in the mix, in addition to the Coir and the Vermiculite and worm castings. I have bought the two 100L sacks of Vermiculite and they in the plot 1 greenhouse waiting for me to sort out the Mels Mix early next Spring.    

Gardening Centres sell less volume for high prices than you can obtain it for, from companies that sell it for its packing and absorbent properties rather than gardening properties. 


Proposed layout of the bottom of Plot 1 

No comments:

Post a Comment