Sunday 11 November 2018

In My Seed Box for 2019 - Sprouts



In 2017  I grew 
  • Bedford Darkmar
  • Cromwell
  • Evesham Special
  • Mongomery
  • Rubine Purple Sprout             
Last Year I had nine varieties of sprouts in my seed box 
  • Bedford
  • Bedford Darkmar
  • Brest F1
  • Brodie
  • Cromwell
  • Evesham Special
  • Mongomery
  • Nelson
  • Rubine Purple Sprout   
The  Rubine Purple Sprout  really have not been good the last couple of years, and I have decided to ditch the seeds on this one. Based on 10 plants in a bed I decided on 
  • Bedford
  • Brest F1
  • Brodie
  • Evesham Special
  • Nelson                                    
So that's five varieties and I will need two of each to fill the 10 holes in the sprout weed membrane. 

A second sowing took place in 14 days - 21 days, after the first, then came the strangest hottest spring weather we've had for a few years and they all died. 2018 was the first year without home grown sprouts and I'm aiming to make sure that in 2019 we get sprouts in the ground and of course for Christmas, Although like a puppy Sprouts are for all year round not just for Christmas.

So the plan is to grow some of all the varieties and plant those that survive. One addition to the list for 2019 is a pack of Fillbasket by Carters Tested Seeds - 100 seeds from Poundland for 10p in their sale. 

Last Year I had nine varieties of sprouts in my seed box, replacing Rubine Purple Sprout with Fillbasket for 2019 I still have nine varieties of sprouts 
  • Bedford
  • Bedford Darkmar
  • Brest F1
  • Brodie
  • Cromwell
  • Evesham Special
  • Fillbasket
  • Mongomery
  • Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment