Monday 23 May 2016

Plot 23B - Comfrey Bed 2

Left home around 7:30 and worked on the allotment until 1:00. The back area of the plot has just exploded with couch grass and weeds, and it was a toss up between clearing that and getting the forth bed in. I decided to weed the rear right of the plot where Comfrey Bed 2 is going in and to dig out the metal shelf the previous tenant had buried and an angle.

I cut the grass Saturday and had two sacks of grass cuttings that went into Dalek 1, with paper shredding's. My neighbours have comfrey at the rear of their plot but looking at it I don't believe its Brocking 14. So I trimmed off flowers as I really don't want it spreading to my plot. They thought it was just weeds, and didn't know that it had practical uses, I did inform them about the flowers and seeds and explained that why it spreading and even coming up in their greenhouse.

I then weeded my comfrey bed 1 and added mulch in the form of well rotted sawdust and horse manure to the bed. I then proceeded to dig out the metal shelf half buried by the previous tenant, extract dross and couch grass and nettles to the tune of 3 sack loads and install the concrete edgings along the back of the path, disturbing some really annoyed red ants.

Here is the state of play just before I went home for lunch


After lunch after which I did some back garden clearance then returned back to the allotment with useful things taking the strimmer with me and had just enough power in the battery to clear the back path.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment