Sunday 17 November 2013

Sunday 17th November - WD Everywhere !

Up early and painted the fence post I put in yesterday afternoon, then took two bags of leafs from the apple trees and two stacks of pop bottles down to the allotment. Very active down there today Andy, Bob, Paul, Owen and Keith & Pauline were all there this morning as it was dry and mild.

The can of super wd40 supplied for the padlock by the council had decided to discharge in the shed and had got into everything, even had to throw a couple of packs of seeds away (shock horror), it took ages to clean up the mess it made.

Moved last years leafs into a single bin ready for this years collection and emptied my two sacks into the empty bin to get it going. There are 100s of baby slugs in my dalek all around the lid so I went in a squashing feast. Obviously they are not touching the blue pellets of death I sprinkled in, so not really sure what else I can do to kill them off.

Dug over bed 4 and rescued some missed potatoes, then I added manure and a layer of cardboard for the Winter.

The mustard on Bed 3 is doing really well, I'm not quite sure when to dig it in? There is still so much to do it's scary, but I have to say looking at my plot against those without paths I'm really glad that I've invested time in creating an infrastructure.

Topped up the path between bed 4 and 5 as I could see the weed membrane where Basil Brush has been investigating again. The more he does this, the more I'm thinking of chicken wire enclosures over all beds that are not covered with hoops and debris netting next year. 

Bed two and the pop bottle Borg roofless greenhouse/ cloche the spring onions are flat against the soil but they take so long to grow - I now have 6 stacks of pop bottles another 4 and I can make a roof to the cube.

Left at 12:30 - home lunch then finish erecting the fence blown down by the high winds - managed to get most of it done before it got dark - just the paving slabs around the post to go back in and the gravel boards - after they have had a fresh coat of red wood paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment