Monday 14 February 2022

BASIL - "Yes Dear" - "Boom Boom"



Now when I hear Basil I normally think of the two icons above, John Cleese who found fame in Monty Python and played Basil Fawlty in Fawlty Towers and Basil Brush & Mr Derek (Derek Fowlds) who found fame as Basils sidekick between 1969 to 1973 before he went on to star as private secretary  Bernard Wolley in Yes , minister and then Yes, Prime Minister and finally appeared in 342 episodes as grumpy Sargent Oscar Blaketon in Heartbeat.

What I don't normally think off is the Herb Basil.

Up until this year, I have not really been into growing Herbs apart from Mint. Historically I have not done a lot of cooking, that changed when my wife Jenny became ill and was unable to continue looking after the house and cooking as her mobility is impaired. 

I have really got away lightly on the cooking front, I can warm stuff up and I did get to a point where I could cook a compete roast dinner without worrying too much, but then with Covid-19 and lockdown my daughter Kelly took over most of the cooking duties, and worked from home as my wife has no immune system as such. I could not work as I could not visit peoples properties to undertake inspections.  

Now that dynamic is changing again as Kelly is no longer working from home and has finally got some measure of her life back as we are not shielding my wife as intensely as we were because she is vaccinated, had her booster and has just received a letter that she needs a 4th dose. 


This year I decided I will grow a number of herbs and learn how to cook with them!  

I'm type 2 diabetic and really need to sort out my eating habits and start eating a little smarter and loose some weight.  

I already have some basil seeds in my seed box to start off, and joining in on Joes Mills - Grow With me 2022 - I now have a small sweet little bottle of Basil Ganovese. 



During a little internet surfing I found this description on the Thompson & Morgan Basil Ganovese page  

"Essential for authentic Italian cuisine, this sweet basil is one of the most popular varieties, with a strong scent and distinctive fresh flavour. Try growing Basil on the kitchen windowsill or in convenient containers outside the back door. Height: 45cm (18"). Spread: 30cm (12")." 


"The most popular basil, with large, fleshy leaves and classic strong flavour. Prefers a warm, dry spot. Sow 2-3 seeds to a pot in a heated glasshouse in the early season. When hardened off plant out in a sheltered position 20cm apart."

But has a slightly different sowing planting and harvesting chart 

Here is Joes Mills - Grow With Me 2022 - video #3 on sowing Basil Ganovese at home.

I have the compost in the seed tray warming up over night and tomorrow I will be sowing some seeds and seeing if I can do a neater job than Joe and Jenny...... 

Only time will tell 

No comments:

Post a Comment