Friday 27 November 2020

In My Seed Box For 2021 - Sweetcorn

 


My daughter Kelly declared early on in my ownership of an allotment that all sweetcorn grown was hers. Historically we have had some great harvests and the two types of corn that I have grown have been Swift and Lark F1. 2017 was extremely disappointing but it would appear that most people in the UK had a bad year with their Sweetcorn. 

In 2019 Marshalls sent me two different varieties to trial which were Alliance F1 and Tyson F1 again due to the leg injury I didn't get the infrastructure in to trial both varieties in 2019. 

The results with Marshalls Alliance F1 Hybrid Sweetcorn were nothing more than spectacular (see photos of harvest here) and I have to say they were the best Sweetcorn that I have grown to date 

This year I'm going to trial the Marshalls Tyson F1 Hybrid and hope they produce as good if not better than the Alliance F1 Hybrid, only time will tell.  

If I get the additional beds in on plot 1 I have Swift - 56 Seeds + two packets of unknown quantity as they came from multipacks and as long as I can grow them far enough away from each other to prevent cross pollination I may well sow these as well unless I'm offered any other new varieties to trial this year as a result of the Gardening Press Event 2020.

UPDATE 

New! Sweetcorn Picasso - Its a New Variety to Mr Fothergill's and I'm up for trying out new varieties, I have some from this year to trial, however with the extra half plot I can keep them far enough away from each other so that cross pollination should not be a problem, plus I will have twice as many as they go way to fast in our family, and if I'm not lucky the local squirrel find out they are ripe before me and eats some.  

New! Sweet Corn Illusion F1 - 25 Seeds - a new variety from Dobies - Cost £2.99

No comments:

Post a Comment